About Me

My Photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Friday Preempted

I was all ready to show of my new spring top today...

Things are kind of crazy where I live. Calgary and most of Southern Alberta have experienced epic flooding over the last 24 hours and it's not over yet.

I am fine. We live on top of a hill and the very worst we can expect is a damp basement or a power outage.

Meanwhile, in our city of 1 million people, 10% have been evacuated. Bridges, road and homes are washed out. The city is doing a great job looking after everyone but it is still traumatic. The schools are closed for the first time in the six years that I have lived here. I mean they even stay open when 12 inches of snow falls in a single night.

One hour west, the part of Canmore where we had lunch and went geocaching on Sunday for Fathers Day is pretty much washed away. The highway is completely missing in places. In High River, one hour south, people are being airlifted from the roofs of their homes.

I just can't bring myself to put up my happy-go-lucky post about the trials and tribulations of knitting a summery top. I think I will save it for next week. I'm going to go watch Cinderella with the kids and be thankful for how lucky we are.

I'll be back with my regular spinning post on Sunday.

Cheers, Nikki

PS: If it's sunny where you are, could you send a little our way? It is going to take us some time to dry out.


1 comment:

  1. Calgary has a very special place in my heart and my thoughts are with your city. We are having rain here, no sun, but I wish you sunny dry weather soon.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.