About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, November 2, 2012

FO Friday #67 - A Whale of a Challenge



Happy Friday everyone.

It seems everyone in my house needs a new hat this year! After I finished Doodlebug's and one for the new baby, my Monkey knew he was next up. He thought very hard about what kind of hat he wanted (and changed his mind several times). Then one day, last week, while I was driving him home from school, we had this conversation;

Monkey said: Mummy, I've thought about it alllll day and I've decided I would like a hat with a humpback whale on it.
I said: A hat with a whale on it? I think I can probably do that.
He replied: A humpback whale. And I don't want it to have any water coming out of its spout or a fin on its back.

At that moment, I knew I was in trouble. I have never even done intarsia before and figured that I would be unlikely to find a pattern for a (quite specific) humpback whale.

But I love a challenge and my Monkey, so I gave it a shot.

I downloaded an image of a humpback whale, converted it into a knitting chart and went for it. It took me three tries to be mostly happy with the image and to figure the whole intarsia thing out (Did you know if you don't twist your colour changes you end up with big holes in your work? Yeah, I didn't).

I think the end result is perhaps appears a bit beluga whale-ish but I worried if I used a darker gray, there wouldn't be enough contrast.



Monkey was so happy with it that he insisted on wearing it to bed the first night. At the end of the day, if he's happy then so am I : )



Pattern: 
Norwegian Star Earflap Hat (heavily modified)
Size: Child
Yarn:
 40g Malabrigo Rios in Paris Night
10 g Knit Picks Swish Tonal in Pearlescent
Needles:
3.75 & 4.0 mm 40cm circulars and DPN's
Modifications:
Eliminated the earflaps
Started with 5 round of 2x2 rib
Changed fair isle to intarsia
 Began decreases at k10 k2tog


Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Cheers, Nikki




6 comments:

  1. That is so wonderful! I can't believe you made up the chart. That is devotion for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks very happy, and more than a little impish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! Well done. It looks exactly like a humpback whale silhouette to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is absolutely adorable and definitely a humpback whale! You done good! And hey, if the kid loves it, it works.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.