About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, November 30, 2012

FO Friday #61 - Done and Dufted



Happy Friday everyone!

It's a big day around here as we are off  to the East Coast for an "early Christmas"on the red eye tonight. The kids are very excited and even though it is only November 30th, there is certainly a festive spirit in the air. Monkey asked me if there will be snow in Halifax. I told him there probably would not. He said "how can it be Christmas with no snow?" I had to laugh. Growing up in Vancouver, I never once saw a white Christmas. It certainly is special to have them now.

A quick update from Wednesday... anyone who knows me will not be surprised to learn that about 10 minutes after I posted, I faced facts and frogged my hat.  The good news is that it is almost done... Again. I just hope this time it's not too small ; )

But, today I am here to bring you a success. I spent some time looking of something interesting, quick and fairly simple to make for presents this year.  I settled on trying some felted slippers for a few of my female relatives. In the end, I made three pairs.  I'm fairly new to felting and it can be a bit finicky but overall, I'm pretty happy with the results.


image

Pattern: Duffers - revisted by Mindle Tallack
An interesting pattern with many different possible permutations. The pattern has a lot of pages and really could have been written in a much shorter way but you really only need to print the pages applicable to this style you are knitting and the fill in the blank worksheet at the end. I knit these ones in the round using magic loop.

image

Knit using the yarn held double, these slipper use between one and 1.5 skeins depending what size you make. The best part? 24 rows and you have a slipper!

image
Felting Technique:
 I felted these in my front load washer which I can set not to spin. It took a while but worked pretty well I think. I did try to do one pair by hand (using my friend "Kim's Method" - essentially involving a sink of steaming hot water and a potato masher) but didn't have the stamina : (

image

That's all I have time for today but I hope you all enjoy a lovely weekend.

Cheers, Nikki

4 comments:

  1. Those are so cool! They look like knitted Keens. Excellent work, my friend! Sorry to hear about the hat, but glad the 2nd time through seems to be doing the trick. Happy early Christmas to you guys -- have a lovely trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely slippers! Seems like the felted technique works fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them! I have made a pair and plan to do more, but the felting was too much, so have to figure out how much bigger to make them to get the right size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! I'm going to have to explore this pattern. I felted myself a pair of slippers last winter and then quickly wore holes in them. Perhaps yarn held double would make them that much thicker!!

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.