About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, June 29, 2012

FO Friday # 49 - A if for Affection


Happy Friday everyone!

Sorry I've been AWOL for a little while. School's out and our summer schedule is kicking my butt! In fact, today I am in very hot Toronto for a girl's weekend away. This is the first time I've been away from my kids for more than overnight... ever!

While it is smok'in hot here, I was happy to enjoy my love new FO yesterday, on the plane. I even finished it in time to be part of the Alphabeti-Kal at my LYS "The Loop".

My gorgeous Color Affection shawl is so soft and squishy. I'm thrilled with how the colours worked out. I'm glad I stretched out of my comfort zone with the yellow. It is going to fit in perfectly at my beach house. (You know, the imaginary one that lives entirely in my mind.)


Pattern: Color Affection Shawl
By: Veera Valimaki
4000 Ravelers can't be wrong. Easy and fun. Starting the short rows and the start of the 3-colour section really does give you the will to knit on.



Yarn:
SweetGeorgia Cashlux Fine in lemon curd and tumbled stone
Handmaiden Casbah Sock in Saltspray
A mix east and west coat yarns. Both gorgeous and so dreamy to knit with.


Needles: 
4.0mm on a 40" circular

Modifications:
I did the "highly controversial" yarn over between the first two stitches and both end of the row. I'm glad I did. My shawl edges and always tight. Even with it, this shawl has good structure and a curvy shape.
I also accidentally read the lace weight instructions for the 3-colour striping and had done an extra 18 rows before I realized. I couldn't bear to rip it out so instead I have made an "extra-large" version ; )



Well that's it from me. Happy Canada weekend to all the Canadians out there!

Cheers, Nikki

21 comments:

  1. absolutely stunning! good job you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so gorgeous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful - I love the colours you used :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently doing an extra long version on purpose. I felt that the first one I knit was about 2 inches too short for me. I like my shawls to hit my elbow when they are wrapped around me and the first one didn't. Plus I felt sorry for my half used skeins of yarn (there is nothing sadder than half a skein of lovely yarn sitting around unused). This time I've used much more of my yarn by doing another couple of repeats of the short rows and adding a couple of repeats of the striping section across the whole width of the shawl. Now I'm onto the border and it is looking great. I can't wait to get it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your colours - this is such a fabulous shawl! (I've just made 2)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its beautiful. And you wear it with such pride, love seeing that

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooh, I do love that shawl! Your colors and the yarn are stunning! I love the slightly longer version too. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous! This shawl is going on my to-do list ... Now! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is amazing. I love the colors.. I'm starting to think I need one after seeing all the blog posts about it XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, it's beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! I love the length it spans! I need to knit this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful. I love the colour combination.
    I'm Canadian in my heart. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! You've totally outdone yourself, my friend! It's beyond gorgeous! Have you seen "Leftie"? on Rav? It's just popped up and might actually turn me into a shawl knitter. Oh, and as an aside... Can I build my imaginary beach house next to yours? It would be super fun to hang out on our imaginary decks and knit together. :) Think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work. It looks cozy (not that it needs to be cozy at this time of year in Toronto... but you know.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love the way the colours play off each other.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's gorgeous! The yellow was an awesome choice. I love the size that you ended up with. Seeing yours makes me want to knit another one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does your site have a contact page? I'm having problems locating it but, I'd like to send you an e-mail.

    I've got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

    My site - natural cellulite treatment

    ReplyDelete
  17. Abingdon rosacea treatment

    Take a look at my web-site; rosacea laser treatment Mc Knightstown

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.