About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, May 18, 2012

FO Friday #46 - KAL Completion


Finished Object Friday with Tami's Amis

Happy Friday everyone!

I am so excited to show off my new cardigan to you today. I am also excedingly happy that it is finally done. I started this project as part of luvinthemommyhood's Tops, Tanks and Tees knit-along. The fronts and back went quickly but the seaming and sleeves nearly did me in the end. Fortunately, I persevered because I couldn't be more thrilled with the result.




Pattern: Cherry by Anna Bell
While well written, this pattern is not for beginners. The designer makes no indication of which cast-on (or off), increases, decreases or button holes to use. After laying out the initial cable pattern, you are on your own with how to make it work in relation to the shaping and for button hole placement. I also thought it a little funny that you need to log onto the designer's website to find out what her abbreviations mean. All that being said, I loved the knitting "little birds" cable as well as the overall style of this cardigan.  The cable pattern  is very simple but made knitting the body so much more fun than plain stockinette. I think it looks pretty sharp too!

This was the moment my phtographer suggested I do a cardigan strip tease

50% cotton/35% rayon/15%silk
This, sadly dicontinued, yarn was enjoyable to knit. It has more give than a plain cotton yarn and a lovely sheen to it. Although technically machine washable, this baby will only be hand washed. I put too much effort into it to risk it in the washer. The yarn was very splitty and tended to quickly loose it's twist. I had read that it does not frog and re-knit well but I frogged one of my sleeves four times and I think it looks great. The fabric is so soft with a bit of weight to it. I am really glad that lately I am finding natural non-wool yarns yarns as pleasurable to knit as my beloved wool.


Needles: 3.25mm and 4mm Knit Picks nickel circulars

Modifications:
There were many. I lengthed the body about an inch. I took out the waist ties and added more buttons. I lengthened the sleeves which involved completely altering the pattern to reduced the amount of "puff" and as a not-so-cool side effect nearly did my head in. I also managed to make some of my button hole placements a little uneven (this was unintentional ; ).


I think this is going to be the perfect summer cardi. I plan on layering it over tank tops on cool evenings. I'm pretty pleased with myself for: completing this KAL on time, stash busting and spending a grand total $22.50 on the yarn and buttons. All in all,I think this is my favourite self-made garment to date!

It is long weekend here in Canada and my family and I are in Vancouver making the most of it. I hope the thought of your weekend plans bring a smile to your face. Have a great Fiber Arts Friday!

Cheers, Nikki

www.luvinthemommyhood.com

27 comments:

  1. Very nice, indeed. The colour, the pattern, and you. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now that has the look of a cardigan that will get lots of wear. I like the whole shape and stitch pattern combo. No wonder it's your favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how a little stitch detail can make for such a more interesting knit!

      Delete
  3. It's gorgeous! You did a great job and I love all of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! This pattern sounds very difficult but you wouldn't tell by the finish of your cardigan, it looks perfect! I think you're right it will make a perfect summer cardigan and I think you'll wear it a lot! It looks great on and the cable pattern is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an awesome sweater and it looks like it was absolutely meant to be from your stash yarn! I'd struggle with a pattern where the details weren't fully explained, so good for you for getting it sorted out. I think it looks especially nice with just a couple of the top buttons buttoned and the bottom left to swing - that's how I'd wear it. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love it! It looks so great and sounds like, based on your comments about the pattern, a real achievement. My skills wouldn't quite stretch that far, but if they did I would definitely making one of these for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great on you! Someday I will finish a cardigan/sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, fantastic pattern find and job at tackling it. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful! And you look so happy! Excellent combination. I'm glad you persevered. It's inspired me to weave the ends in on my Narragasett and try to run a slip stitch around the neckline to stave off the flashdance effect. ;) Enjoy your holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks. The pattern really wasn't technically difficult, it just lacked a little direction at times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow your good i love how your cardi came out...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did amazing!! Looks so good on you!!!! WOW! Great choice hun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowza....it's beautiful. Kudos for hanging in on the KAL with what sounds like a very challenging pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so lovely, well done. I'm sure you will get lots of wear out of it too, it just looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations; It looks great! ♥
    I love your cardigan strip tease, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks fab. I really want to make myself a cardigan this year. I bet you wear it lots. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! you did a great job. I don't like when patterns leave you hanging with a lot of different things, but I think you did more than a great job at getting around that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks so wonderful on you! I love the all-over cables and your mods. Very impressive finishing work, too. It is so great when all your efforts result in such a beautiful and wearable sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty! I love your mods- the sleeves and the length look great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's gorgeous! It looks like it will be very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - that looks absolutely fabulous! It fits perfectly and I love the buttons you chose for it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's an awesome sweater and a perfect fit. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.