About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, April 6, 2012

FO Friday #43 - Can-Oz KAL


Happy Friday everyone!

We are safely home and the snow that fell on Wednesday (seriously adding insult to injury about leaving Hawaii) has gone and I am back to blindly believing that spring is here : )

Fortunately, I have created for myself the perfect little spring accessory. My lovely Can-Oz shawl.

As I've mentioned before, this shawl was a part of a knit along with two intertwined knit groups. One here in Calgary and one in Melbourne, Australia. I've had so much fun knitting this as a group. I can't wait to do it again (although I will have to wait a while, there are 8 of us knitting and I am the second one done).



Pattern: Sunflower Shawlette by Rose Beck
Size: small
This is a a wonderful pattern. I haven't knit a lot of of shawls or lace but I found the instructions for this pattern simple and clear. There is the option of knitting from written instructions or chart (I used the chart).  I love the way it turned out. My only criticism would be that the top edge is quite tight even though I knew that could be an issue and conscientiously tried to knit loosely for the first couple stitches on each row.

100% Merino Fingering Weight
Colourway: Earl Grey
One full skein used
As usual, Madelinetosh provided a lovely knitting experience. The finished shawl is lovely and warm (especially in the Hawaii sun) despite the lace and light weight.
I was concerned that the lace pattern would be lost in the variegation but in the end I am very pleased with how it looks.

Needles: Knit Picks nickel interchangables
4.0mm / US 6
The pattern calls for 3.75mm needles but I was hoping to get more drape in the fabric by going up a size (this may have been my undoing - keep reading)

Modifications:
As I said above, I went up a needles size. In the end, I knew I was not going to have enough yarn to complete all of the edging repeats. I had to end one short. I was disappointed because I love the look of the edging in the pattern as written but I don't think it really compromised the overall look of the shawl. Would I have made it if I had used 3.75 needles? Who knows.

I was considering giving this shawl as a gift to someone else but my husband has convinced me to keep it. I have already worn it out once and I am thrilled with my new spring accessory. As a wise friend also suggested, this shawl is also important in many other ways. It is a lovely reminder of my family's vacation to Maui, of the (first) Can-Oz KAL and of the friendships that knitting helps to bind.

If the other KAL members give me the ok I will try to post picks of the other shawls when they are done.

I hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful spring holiday weekend and has a chance to check out some other great FO's this Friday.

Cheers, Nikki

19 comments:

  1. Hello from melbourne! Such lovely work! I need to level up my knitting skills to make something pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawl looks fantastic! Great for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shawl turned out just lovely! It is so great to make a new accessory you like, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty, I love it! I haven't made a shawl yet, and this one will have to be added to the list of possibles! Isn't Madelinetosh just divine?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a lovely shawl and I would keep it too. You look fabulous in it and it really does fit perfectly with a sleeveless top on the beach.

    I have been thinking that most of my knitwear is meant for cold months. I may need to consider a Spring/Summer shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It came out wonderfully! And what a great memento!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful. It looks great on you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally lovely, and nice memories of Hawaii to go with it!
    willow4

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a really pretty shawl and endowed with so much meaning, it will be a great reminder of happy times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! It looks wonderful on, and I agree that it holds a lot of memories ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lovely shawl. It looks really on your shoulders and the tropical background just makes it that much prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That shawl looks lovely. I really need to get me some of the Madelinetosh yarn. Everyone seems to be using it at the mo with fab results.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you're keeping this one, it looks great on you. And I love the lace pattern, it reminds me a little of peacock feathers, and looks so great with that textured border, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is lovely! And looks so pretty on you! It is a fabulous memento of your trip to Hawaii and of your knitting friends in Canada and Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pattern shows up beautifully no matter the variegation. It's a shame you were short for the last border repeat, but hopefully you forget that after just a couple of wearings. I think you're absolutely right to keep it for yourself - there are so many personal feelings and experiences knit into the fabric that it just wouldn't mean the same to anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is really lovely and looks great on you - good choice to keep it :-)

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.