About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Saturday, April 28, 2012

3KCBWDAY6 - Improving Your Skill Set



Happy Saturday everyone!

Wow, day six! It has been quite a week. I absolutely loved all the creative posts that I got a chance to look at yesterday.  I am happy to report that all the yarn from my "painting" rolled back up in less than 20 minutes without a single tangle. Phew!

I would consider myself a solidly moderate knitter. I've been knitting for almost two years now. I have made a whole variety of objects using a whole variety of techniques.

Still, I know there are still many gaps in my knowledge.

I have tried many cast-ons and cast-offs but I know there are about a million more out there.

Bulky Moebius Cowl 

I have done stranded colourwork but don't have a clue how to do intarsia.

"Oliver" Jogless Stripes Beanie

I have made a few garments but am not yet fully comfortable with different methods of sweater construction. (Give me a choice and I will choose top down, raglan, all in one piece any day of the week).
Goodale

Raglan-Sleeved Henley

I have only ever tried felting once.
overprotective

Socks are a serious weak area. I can turn a heel but the only pair I've ever completed were a set of baby duck socks.
Just Ducky Socks

I've made a few toys but feel like I have only just touched the surface of amigurumi.
Sheldon
The cables on these mittens recently gave me a run for my money.
Clepsydra Mittens

I am currently having a bit of a love affair with lace but I know there are much more difficult projects out there.
Sunflower Shawlette

I am comfortable working flat or in-the-round. I can use circs, straights and DPN's. I am not afraid to try new things but I think the single biggest area I need to work on is speed. My knitting is rather slow and I would love to learn some techniques to go a little faster. My main goal for this year is to learn how to hold yarn in both hands for colourwork.

I recently bought myself The Principles of Knitting.
Before I even opened it, I look one look and the book and thought: Wow, I've got a lot to learn!


Thank goodness learning is half the fun : )

Cheers, Nikki

Don't forget to google 3KCBWDAY6 to see more posts for Day 6!


3 comments:

  1. That books is great isn't it? I keep dipping into it and finding fascinating stuff. I also found a new way to cast on, which worked brilliantly with my new scarf knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - I just love those ducky socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also recently bought that book and was a little bit scared to open it. Probably because it gave me bad flashbacks to those huge science textbooks that were required reading in college :) You have a great mix of projects and skills learned in two years.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.