About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Monday, January 16, 2012

Whatever the Mood Monday: Checking in

Now that we are more than two weeks into the new year, I though it would be a good idea to check in with my New Year resolutions and see how it's all going.

I admit the last few days especially have been a struggle. My Monkey started vomiting at school on Friday just before I picked him up and pretty much continued throughout the drive home and all evening. My husband has been working extra long hours for the past two weeks and this weekend was supposed to be a fun break together and it was pretty much a bust. Now it is Monday and the temperature has dropped to -27 C. Seriously.

I'm feeling a wonderful combination of tired and cranky and anyone in my house with any sense is giving me a wide berth. (I wish someone would inform the clingy teething 16 month old of the wisdom of this idea!)

Anyways...

I have been keeping a daily resolution checklist for motivation and it appears so far:

I have gone to bed by 10:30 on weeknights  40% of the time. I've realized that because Craft Night is on a weekday, the best I can hope for on this one is 80%. For the record, Craft Night most definitely comes before New Year's Resolutions.

I have exercised 3 times in 2 weeks. My goal is a minimum of 3 times every week so I am struggling on this one. The -30 temps outside aren't going to help either. However, I did go for a run twice and surprisingly, enjoyed it. I have signed up for the Rocky Mountain Soap 12K walk/run in Canmore on May 12th. I would like to finish it in less than 1 hour and 15 minutes. So now I have a concrete goal to work towards.
Canmore. A stunningly gorgeous, often over-looked, mountain town.
Not counting this post I have blogged 6 times in two weeks so I am squeaking by on my goal of 3 times a week.

I also made a new resolution to floss everyday (something I am embarrassed to say I have historically been very slack at). So far I have a 80% success rate on this one!

I'm at 100% on the no french fries resolution. And although I have been sorely tempted twice, I have held steady.

I have done a much better job planning my family's meals. I have a plan in the works to get even more organized on this one (I'll share it if it works!)

As for my knitting goals:

I have not made a yarn purchase in 16 days!!!
I did receive some gorgeous yarn last week that I (conveniently) ordered on December 31st to make my mum's 60th birthday present (more on this on Wednesday).

Red Label Cashmere/Silk Single Yarn from Tanis Fiber Arts
Colourway: Sunset
It feels incredible!

I spent hours last week updating my stash on Rav so I can keep track of what I really have and hopefully spend the next few weeks (oops that was freudian) months seriously "shopping the stash."

As an aside, yesterday, we took a hours road trip to the mountain town of Canmore for lunch just to get out of the plague house. There is a lovely yarn shop there. My husband sweetly offered to watch the kids so I could go in. Jerk. To be fair, he had forgotten about the yarn diet. But still. Jerk.

I haven't started any fair isle projects yet (and suspect it's going to be a long while before I do -  again see Wednesday).

So there you have it. Kind of a mixed bag but overall I'm feeling pretty good about it (except maybe the exercise thing - I really need to try harder on that one).

I hope your Monday has started out a little warmer than mine. I've now had a cup of tea, sent Monkey to school and put the cranky baby down for a nap. I feel almost ready to face the week and maybe even with a slightly better attitude than when I woke up (which, to be fair, was at 3am).

Cheers, Nikki

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, looks like you're doing better on your resolutions at this stage in the year than most people I know!

    I stated goals rather than resolutions (it works better for me that way!) but I think I'll give it a while before I track my progress, as I have a super secret project that counts towards 2 of my goals but can't be mentioned until February ;)

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.