About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, January 20, 2012

FO Friday #35 - My Husband's Henley

Happy Friday everyone!!

We are warming up here. The high today is -15 C! Seriously, I might not even bother with a coat {read big time sarcasm here}. It is actually supposed to get up to + 9 C by next Wednesday, so at least this crazy cold won't last too long.

I'm super, over-the-moon excited about today's FO. And not only because it is finally done ; ) I started this sweater almost 6 months ago. It kept getting bumped for projects on more of a timeline. It got left behind when we went a away for month. Then, I started to seriously stress that it was going to be too big - so of course my response was to put it in time-out. When I picked it up again, I got seriously intimidated by the idea of hemming the bottom, neckline and cuffs - into time-out again. But I finally got there in the end. And you know what? The damn thing actually fits (I know, I was shocked too!).




Pattern: Raglan-Sleeved Henley by Bruce Weinstein
Size 48
This sweater has quite simple construction but the pattern was really not that easy to read. It gives the option for multiple sizes over multiple gauges so you have to be quite careful that you actually knit an entire sweater that is all the same size (I suggest marking with a highlighter). The designer also assumes that you understand a fair bit about sweater construction (like what a placket is, for instance). The sweater is worked flat through that very placket  and then done in the round. There are MILES and MILES of stockinette. This sweater makes very good TV knitting. I liked the shaping of the sleeves and the lack of seams. My only modifications were to make the sleeves and body about 2 inches shorter than indicated in the pattern (I matched the measurements on an existing sweater G has). I was very anxious about the hemming but I'm so happy with the final look.

60% llama 40% silk in aran weight
used 16.1 skeins
I had a serious love-hate relationship with this yarn. It feels incredible and looks amazing knit up. At first, I found it very splitty but I must have gotten used it it because by the end that didn't seem to be much of a problem anymore. The 50g skeins were annoying for such a big project. I also had several skeins that had a knot within the first 5 meters. I refused to waste any of this yarn so I had a lot of ends to weave. I have almost 3 skeins left. They might be destined to be a hat? I haven't decided yet.


This is the truest picture I have of what the knitted fabric really looks like.

Needles: 4.5mm Knit Picks nickel interchangeables

Finishing: 
The 6 metallic buttons were bought at Pudding Yarn. I think these were the perfect choice.

I tried steam blocking for the first time with this project. Before blocking, the hems flared a bit at the bottom and you could see where I had joined the yarn for the sleeve (also oddly one sleeve seemed to be about 2 cm shorter than the other??) Thank goodness for blocking. The steam did the trick. The hems look great and I didn't have to wait days for it to dry. I pinned it in sections to my ironing board, covered each part with a wrung-out-but-still-wet pillow case and pressed with the iron until the pillow case was dry. Fantastic!

So there you have it. This is easily the biggest project I have ever taken on. I'm glad I did it. I'm glad it's done. G wore his sweater all day Sunday and almost every night after work this week. I think he likes it : ) And that's good... because it is going to be a long while before he gets another one.



Cheers, Nikki

PS: As always on Friday, the results of many hours with needles and hooks can be found though Tami's Amis  and Fiber Arts Friday.







20 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! Congrats on getting it finished, and it fits beautifully :) You must be so pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really a great sweater, you should be proud! I have a book by Bruce Weinstein so I know what you mean about how he writes the patterns--they could be better! I'm intrigued by the steam blocking, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic and it's brilliant that you finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that is crazy COLD, and I love that jumper - it looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!!!! I'm glad you hung in there with it; the result is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, that sweater is fantastic! I am so happy that it fit. You really do inspire me to take my sweater out of time out. I know what you mean about some yarns that seem splitty but then you just 'get used to it'. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's perfect! I bet it will be a favored item until it wears through! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic job, my friend! I'm so glad it turned out as well as it did, and that he appreciates it so much. Yay! Happy weekend to you guys -- hope it's cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky Lucky husband, that sweater is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful job, and such a classic design, it will stand the test of time. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a fantastic sweater! Great job! So far my guys have only gotten gloves and scarfs. I'm not sure if I want to do a sweater for me first or not. I think there'd be a lot more measurements for a girl sweater than a boy sweater. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's amazing! I can't imagine the dedication it takes to make a man-sized sweater. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a very handsome sweater and your finishing work looks perfect. You must be so pleased to have your husband wearing it! Sounds like he deserves a hand knit sweater. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You created a wonderful sweater for your beloved! The yarn must feel absolutely amazing!
    Beautiful work!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sweater is awesome... and may be just what I'm looking for.

    I have to agree with you... knots in commercially produced yarn irritate me. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo, that yarn is super nice looking. Great sweater, looks nice and snuggly. Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks fabulous!

    (I have no idea what a placket is)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I am so happy that your epic sweater journey has ended well! It looks fantastic. I love that placket neckline although it sounded like a pain to knit. Again, a big congratulations! You are an inspiration to all of us knitters who have thought about knitting our significant others a sweater but put down our needles in fear (or made them a hat instead).

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sweater is lovely and your husband is a lucky guy. Mine hasn't been so lucky so far but hopefully later in the year I will attempt my first adult sweater for him. You have inspired me to try! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice ! I am waiting for help from the author. I can't understand some of the instructions... mathematically this pattern is not working out for me. I'm hopeful to finish this thing some day. Love yours! Mardi

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.