About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, December 30, 2011

FO Friday #33 - Calgary Snow


Happy Friday everyone!

I'm still enjoying the bliss of the holidays, although, I'm trying a little harder to resist the chocolate and baked goodies that linger around my house and am wondering how my house has suddenly turned into Santa's Workshop. Seriously, there are toys EVERYWHERE.

Today, I wanted to show you the last of my knitted holiday gifts. This pair of fingerless mitts I made for one of my Monkey's teachers.

Calgary Snow


Pattern: Vancouver Fog by Jen Balfour

I favourited this pattern a while ago and was happy to have an excuse to knit it. I think it produces pretty much the ideal size and shape for fingerless mitts. The pattern was very easy and straight forward.


Yarn : Berroco Vintage
Colourway: Sloe Berry 5184
50% Acrylic, 40% wool, 10% Nylon

Now, in general, it is against my religion to knit with acrylic for anything other than crafts or toys but I wanted to use a yarn that was superwash. I really don't know Monkey's teacher well and didn't want her to accidently felt the mitts. In my search for an appropriate yarn, I found Berroco Vintage. It felt great and still had a significant amount of wool content so I decided to give it a try.
It knit up great. It's lovely and soft and has wonderful stitch definition. I wouldn't shy away from using it again.



Needles: 4.0mm bamboo DPN's by Chiagoo

I am loving using wooden double pointed needles for mittens with cables.


I didn't make any modifications on this one. I knit the pattern as written and am happy with the result. I hope Mme. J is too : )

Well, that's it. The last FO Friday for 2011. Check out Tami's Amis to see what everyone has finished up for the end of the year.

Januare 1st will mark the one year anniversary of this blog! Be sure to to check back as I take stock of 2011 and make plans for 2012... and perhaps have a wee giveaway!

Happy New Year's!

Cheers, Nikki

15 comments:

  1. Love those mitts! I agree that for someone you don't know a higher acrylic blend may be in order no matter how much it drives you crazy. When I was at my yarn shop the other week, she showed me some wool blends that are good for projects like this. They feel great even though there is so much acrylic.

    Good for you giving the teacher a very special gift of your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mitts, and the color is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mme J is so lucky to get those mitts. They really look great. I've added them to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the gloves they look fantastic. Love the design and love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are fab. great pattern and lovely colour.
    i'm sure she'll love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful - I love that colour.

    Happy new year

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful! They might be added to my queue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those mitts. the color is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful mitts and as a teacher, I thank you on behalf of all of us for making such a lovely gift too (can I be Monkey's teacher next year? lol!). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely mitts, I am fond of Vintage too!
    I wish you and yours a Happy New Year :0)
    willow4

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Vintage. I used the Chunky and it was so nice to work with. Must get some worsted to make a baby vest with. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky, lucky teacher! Those mitts are just amazing, the cables are so elegant (and wonderfully knit up), and that's a great yarn. There's so much depth to the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your mitts!! The color is beautiful and the way the cable stitches pop makes them look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.