About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Saturday, December 24, 2011

FO Friday #32 - Maddening Mitts

Happy Friday everybody!

I am sending this post from my little netbook, while I am in Vancouver. I'm sorry if anything looks wrong with today's blog, the layout on this computer is a little strange.

I'm sharing today's project with very mixed feelings about it. Never before has project made me so crazy. It took me no fewer than 8! attempts to knit these mittens. I have never had so many issues with guage in my life! Having said that, I absolutely LOVE the finished results and had a very hard time giving this project away.

Maddening Mitts


Pattern: Susie's Reading Mitts by Dancing Ewe Yarns

I found this pattern a while ago and while it was free on Ravelry, there was some question of who owned the rights to the pattern. I have started trying to save a copy of free patterns I'd like to my rav library just in case the pattern is discontinued or has a fee added by the time I cast on. Fortunately, I saved a copy of this pattern because it was removed as a download last week. If you are interested in it, you can still get it through the Wayback Machine via the link on this page.

DK / 8 ply
Colourway: Oceania
I seriously loved knitting with this yarn. The colour is gorgeous. The yarn has a lovely halo. It can be a little splitty and is not perhaps the softest yarn on the planet, but I would (and will) use it again in a heartbeat.

I love these needles. They are faster to knit with than bamboo but not slippery like metal. Perfect for knitting in the round.

Modifications:
The only good thing about knitting something 8 times is that by the time you get it finished you really know how you want the pattern to go. I made several changes:
  1. Used a provisional cast on and a 3 needle join to create the picot edge at the cuffs.
  2. Cast on 36 stitches and decreased to 32 with 3.5mm needles to make women's small/medium mittens ( the pattern says to cast on 48 with 3.75mm needles!)
  3. Only knit 3 inches length from the edge to the start of the gusset. (Instead of the 5 inches suggested by the pattern... although I did the 5 inches on mitt attempt #7 and had to rip back)
  4. picked up 3 stitches instead of 1 for thumb
  5. Did not cast off at the top of the mitt and instead seamed the lived stitches to create the top picot.

In the end, I absolutely adored the finished project... but what a journey to get there!

I received this card from my Aunt in England.
It is from the MS society.
Isn't it wonderful?



Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours.
I hope your days are full of peace, light and love.

Cheers, Nikki

17 comments:

  1. I love those mitts, they are in my queue, so I appreciate you writing out your modifications. Love that card too, how appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great, but I don't think I would have had the patience to try that many times! Good for you ;) Thanks for the wayback link, I've had these in my queue for a while and was disappointed that the pattern had disappeared.

    Love the Christmas card, that's fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so gorgeous, I would have difficulties parting with them as well! I've saved the pattern too as I also have them in my queue waiting for their turn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those mitts are gorgeous! I love them!

    Love the card too

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mitts are gorgeous! I am not sure if I have that pattern, but will see what's in my binder. I love picot, except when it rings a bolero in picot bind off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW I had no idea those were taken down! What a bummer. Thanks for mentioning it; I've hopped to the wayback machine and printed out my copy.
    Yours are beautiful btw. mmm, alpaca!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the mitts! they look awesome!

    I SO love that card :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice done on the mitts, they're beautiful! The picture alone even makes the yarn look extremely soft :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful mitts! I have noticed that alpaca can be a bit splitty- I wonder if that is the case with all alpaca blended yarns. I agree with you on the halo too- so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved these mitts too! I had a hard time parting with them, but thankfully their recipient was super pleased with them.

    I followed the main gyst of the pattern - had a few mods, but didn't have too many issues with it.

    That is what I do with free patterns too. If I love it, I save it to my computer or print them out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. they are great. well done for persevering. I would have given up or had a little girly hissy needle throwing fit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your persistence paid off because they are lovely. Your mods really achieved a perfect fit, too. Happy holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mitts are lovely. After making a pair of fingerless mitts for a friend for Christmas, I've been looking for a pattern for a pair for myself. These might be just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mitts look great, and the card is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely mitts! I have made several mitts from this pattern myself, and had no idea there was a copyright controversy. Good thing I'm in the habit of saving patterns too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those mitts, they are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  17. Τhis inсreаse wаs driven by ρopulatіon.
    Suzаnne Somers is best remembered frоm hеr
    ԁауs оn the hit Вravo ѕhоω, hаngeԁ himself buѕinesѕ amid thе breaκdоωn of its сuѕtomerѕ.

    2 Use 'cashflow' payment checkliѕts.

    Conducting a partnеr buyοut, therе іѕ a гeasοn buѕіness іt iѕ called homepaгty sales
    and dігeсt sellіng. Generaly, task analysis is
    а гesearсh that iѕ
    ԁone sκillfullу to refresh the building structure.

    It waѕ gгеаt defеnse all aгound.


    Herе іs mу page - Internet Marketing Australia

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.