About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

WIP Wednesday # 41 - Stalling

Happy Wednesday everyone.

I don't have too much progress to show today for a few reasons. This last week was very busy with my mum in town for my birthday, the whole family sick with colds... um... and I'm stalling.

I'm stressing about My Husband's Henley from hell. I realized this week that all of the edging is supposed to be folded over and hemmed. That freaks me out because I know that wonderful knitting can be totally ruined by bad finishing. I have never hemmed a knitted garment before.

My other issue is that while my swatch did not grow when I washed it and the sweater seems fit my husband well now, I have a sneaky suspicion that this sweater is going to grow like a baby's head when I wash it.

So currently, I am imagining that I have spent hours and hours on a poorly hemmed, tent-sized sweater for my husband. As usual, my current solution has been to completely ignore the whole project.

And cast on something new (of course).

So let me introduce you to Clepsydra Mittens. I have a good friend who is a single mom. She had no family in town and I doubt her 3 year old is doing much Christmas shopping so I thought it would be nice to make a little gift for her. I love the look of these mittens. I did my research, read all about everyone's projects on Rav and bought the pattern. I wound up my go-to yarn of Ultra Alpaca (that I happened to have around the house - see stash is a good thing - otherwise I would have had to go out! And it's cold out - And I would have had to make an unnecessary visit to a yarn store... oh wait, that probably wouldn't have been so bad).

Then I sat down and started the provisional cabled i-cord cast on (Wait?? What???) In any case, several hours and many youtube videos later I have this:

At least it's a start (and I read ahead - there is NO hemming).

But wait... Where is the baby blanket you ask?

You will have to come back on Friday to see more : )

I hope you have a lovely Wednesday and are not waiting on a snowstorm like we are (and do not have the Mahna Mahna from the Muppets stuck in your head like I do - even my 1 year old is singing it!). However, if you are stuck inside during a snowstorm, what better way to spend the time than checking out some other WIP's through Tami's blog?
(you are on your own about the annoying song - sorry)

Cheers, Nikki

13 comments:

  1. The cabled icord looks amazing, although I have to say I did a double take when I read it! Sounds pretty intense ;)

    Fingers crossed for the sweater being absolutely fine. If you can't handle the idea of the hem, why not just do a bit of ribbing instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for the sweater! can't wait to see the blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cabled i-cord cast on, I think I'd be YouTubing that one too! Looks good though! Good luck with the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those mittens look great! I just posted on my WIP Wed that I need to make some mittens...it was chilly this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best answer to sweater stress is to finish it and see what happens! You swatched and hopefully you'll be rewarded and none of your fears will be realized!

    Absolutely beautiful mitten pattern; your friend is sure to be touched by your consideration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to stall when I reach a certain point in things too. I'm sure hemming the sweater will be tough but I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those mittens--had to add them to my queue! (the mile long queue!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, finished blanket! Awesome. Don't fear the knitted hem. It's actually pretty easy to pull off. And, lucky you... I have a photo tutorial on that very subject on my blog. Check it out and see if it's helpful. Also feel free to email for moral support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mittens sound like a great gift. Perhaps the sweater will not grow, or if it does, perhaps it can be reshaped after washing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous mittens! That cast-on looks beautiful, and intimidating :) Good on you!

    *Edited to fix a really obnoxious typo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that mitten yarn! So nice of you to give a pressie to the single mum :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's an interesting sounding cast on - but it looks good!

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.