About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Monday, November 14, 2011

Whatever the Mood Monday: Dessert Post #1

Happy Monday everyone!

I'm really enjoying everone's posts for NaBloPoMo. I forgot all about it. Although, starting a month of daily blog posting the day after I got back from overseas would perhaps have been a bit... ambitious (or more like crazy!).

I've been wanting to right a post about a great (non-knitting related) course I got to take in Melbourne. Two friends and I took a day long desserts course at Savour Chocolate and Patisserie School. It was sooo much fun and so yummy!

We made 3 amazing desserts (and them ate them!).

The first dessert was:
 Beetroot sponge with Orange marmalade ice cream, 
Chocolate mousse and Beetroot butterscotch sauce.

Now, I know Beetroot sound like a strange ingredient for a dessert but we used beetroot powder and it was very subtle, although it definitely added some colour!

First, we made the orange marmalade - it took a long time to reduce and set up but it smelled heavenly!

Next up, was the chocolate mousse. I was the one who had to make it!

I was so scared of cooking it too long and curdling the eggs
and ruining it for the whole class!
We put the mousse in moulds to set in the fridge. At the same time, we made the ice cream and put it in the freezer.

After the butterscotch sauce was done, we baked the sponge... in the microwave!

Beetroot Sponge microwaved in disposable cups
This it what it looked like all together.


Of course, this is what it looked like when I got through with it ; )


Next time, I'll show you the dessert we made that I want to try to duplicate for Christmas... Chocolate Lava Cake anyone?

Cheers, Nikki

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fab - I've heard that beetroot works really well with chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like delicious fun! I'm a big fan of using vegetable in cakes and things - zucchini or pumpkin or some other squash in brownies makes them so moist. I hadn't heard of powdered beetroot, though. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.