About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

WIP Wednesday 29 - Good Going Goodale

Happy Wednesday everyone.

Just a quick post today as I have spent the day travelling across the country with my two little ones on my own. Needless to say I am EXHAUSTED!

We have arrived safely to Nova Scotia and I am looking forward to a quiet week in a gorgeous setting with lots of family time. I will try to post some pics of the scenery here (and hopefully about a trip to Have a Yarn in Mahone Bay ; )

In the meantime, I have finally gotten past all the tediousness of fixing the many mistakes I had been making on my Goodale and so far it is smooth sailing as I knit the body. This is my first top-down project and I am loving it. Getting the hard part done first really suits my style. I usually stress as I get up to the arm hole shaping and neck that I'm going to ruin the entire project. But with top down, all that part happens first before you put in hours of stockinette knitting. And because it's in the round, it is really easy to see the whole thing taking shape.

I apologize for the crummy, late night, indoor photo
 I've also just started a little travel project. It is a charity knit for Click for Babies. I got tipped onto this by luvinthemommyhood's blog. I have worked with shaken babies in the neurology unit of my hometown children's hospital, so this struck a chord with me. I have started a wee purple hat in the Baby Star Hat pattern. The pattern was a little pricey, but hopefully I'll make a bunch of them. The great thing about newborn hats is they are tiny & quick. I'm committing to having an FO to show you on Friday.

In the meantime, don't forget to head on over to Tami's blog to check out some more WIP's!

Cheers, Nikki

21 comments:

  1. I can't imagine driving across town with two little ones, let alone cross country! Have a nice, restful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Goodale is looks lovely. I love top down sweaters.

    Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about the benefit of top down, I hadn't thought of it that way! Love the colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, don't you love working in the round?
    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the color and am looking forward to seeing your little hats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the colors in your cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy the east coast! I've been to Mahone Bay and had a pub lunch there years ago but I missed the yarn shop :(

    Your cardigan looks like it's working out perfectly! I love top down too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodale looks great , love your colour choice !

    Hope you have a wonderful time in Nova Scotia , one of my favourite places to visit . Can't wait to see some photos .

    Great charity and thanks for the link to the pattern . One more for the queue !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot wait to see it done - love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really looking nice. Adore the colour. I hope you enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you have a lovely vacation - and get some time to relax xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy travels, Nikki! Glad you made it to your destination in one piece and looking forward to hearing about your adventures. I totally agree about the top down sweaters -- they're like magic the way they come together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a lovely holiday and hope you get your hat done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sweater looks great! Enjoy your trip! Nova Scotia is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Goodale, and I'm glad that the top-down process is working for you. It's always sounded like a good concept to me, being able to see/try on the top as it takes shape.

    And that Baby Star hat pattern is gorgeous, definitely something you could end up making a lot of.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How amazing is the top down process. I am totally in love with it. I know in one of my millions of magazines there is an article how to design your own ones, when I have a few minutes I am definitely going to find it.

    Good for you making hats for the babies, love the idea, I have found a group on Ravelry that is supporting an orphange near me and am going to knit some myself.

    See you on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a good week away! Your goodale is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your goodale!

    Thanks for putting that link up to the baby hat charity, I will definitely knit some for them too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The sweater is gorgeous! Good work with the baby hats <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I'm impressed you drove across country with the kids and survived, let alone posted! Good job! I don't know much about Nova Scotia, except for the fact that Sidney Crosby is from Cole Harbour. LOL Your Goodale is coming along beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cardigan is looking great. I also love top down for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.