About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Monday, August 29, 2011

Have a Yarn - Have a Visit!



This is a long overdue post about my visit to Have A Yarn. A lovely little yarn shop in beautiful Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia.


Mahone Bay is a gorgeous little maritime community on Nova Scotia's South Shore. It is a very picturesque place, full of lovely little shops and cafes.


Have a Yarn fits right in.

This wonderful little shop is literally packed to the rafters with yarn and fiber related goodies.


I didn't have a lot of time to browse (as my father-in-law was on his own on Monkey & Doodlebug duty outside). The amazing supply of both local and international yarn was immediately evident.


My favourite part were all the "little extras." There were handmade ceramic buttons from South Africa,  and tons and tons of pattern books that were all very well organized by theme and indexed. There were also sample projects to look at in every single yarn that I picked up. I loved that! It was fabulous to see the yarn knitted up and to be able to compare it side by side with other yarn knitted in a similar fashion.

On the left are just a few of the sample scarves.
Each one was clearly labeled with the pattern and yarn used.

But, of course, I know what you really want to know... what did I get?

3 skeins of Tanis Fiber Arts Yellow label DK (2 in Sand and 1 in Moss)
2 skeins of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool
2 set of ceramic buttons
2 etched metal buttons I hope will work for my Goodale.
I don't have any concrete plans for the wool yet (beyond something stripey with the TFA and lacy with the silky wool) but I certainly couldn't leave empty handed (lest my husband think I was unwell).

In other news... it a big day today at our house. It's Monkey's first day of preschool!

Of course, I was the only one who was teary when we dropped him off.
Cheers, Nikki

3 comments:

  1. Nice score! I'll add that shop to my list for next time I'm in Nova Scotia. I hope the first day of school was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shop and lovely purchases. Congrats to the little man for his first year in school!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good reason for my dream trip to Nova Scotia :-)

    I hope your Monkey enjoyed his big first day. When my younger daughter started at her preschool (age almost 3), she was fine when I dropped her off and cried her eyes out WHEN I PICKED HER UP. I said to the teacher, "please tell me this happens to other mothers," and she said, "Well, not usually on the first day."

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.