About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

WIP Wednesday #27 - We Interrupt this Program...


Happy Wednesday everybody!

I had some specific goals I really wanted to achieve for my knitting this week:

1. Finish knitting my darn Saroyan (newly christened "Blue Fall")

Well, I am happy to say that I got it done*

* of course it is currently blocking, so you will just have to come back on Friday to see a decent pic : )

2. Swatch for my Goodale project (like a good little knitter)

Shazam! Check this. Not only did I swatch (and discover my gauge was way off) but I also washed the swatch and was shocked to discover I now had perfect gauge. Lesson learned!

lovely lovely Madelinetosh Pashmina in Iris

3. Start knitting my Goodale as I can't take with me on vacation in a couple weeks because the intended recipient will be there.

um... and that where everything went off the rails.

Because, on Sunday, I picked up this from the post office:


18 Skeins of Plymouth Royal Llama Silk for the final project in my 2011 family sweater knitting resolution. I really feel I should actually accomplish at least one of my resolutions for this year. So, I will use this yarn to knit this sweater for my hubby.

In the end, there has been more swatching (and washing!) instead



Maybe others had better luck staying on track with their WIP's. Find out through Tami's blog.

Cheers, Nikki

17 comments:

  1. Oooh, can't wait to see your finished Saroyan! Love the colours. That Llama silk yarn looks divine, I want some ;) And good for you with all the swatching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swatching! you are such a good girl! good luck with the Goodale!

    -Josie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see Saroyan blocked out! Good job swatching!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was your swatch too big or too small before you washed it? It's good to know that you won't be changing needles only to have it not work after you wash the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Calophi
    The yarn definitely loosened up with washing.
    Prior to washing, I was getting about 23-24 stitches to 4 inches. After a good soak and air dry, I got 20!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blown away that you did two swatches!

    Will definitely come back on FO Friday to see!

    Love the resolution to make everyone a sweater, my family on the other hand is HUGE and the thought of doing even one each puts me in a spin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job on swatching and washing! I have a skein of pashmina that I haven't knit up yet, but I've heard a rumor that it's gauge changes a lot when washed and blocked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh your new yarn looks amazing!
    Well done on swatching too, I'm sure it cancels a little bit of over-buying of yarn ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, that yarn for your husband's sweater looks delicious, I can completely understand getting distracted by its arrival! And I'm happy your swatching is working out so far, because that means awesome sweaters can be getting on their way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good thing you swatched and laundered your swatch! You've probably saved yourself a whole bunch of frustration.

    Sounds like you needed to cast on the other sweater, after all you'll need to bring it on your vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on finishing your Saroyan. Can't wait to see it. That was very smart of you to wash and block your swatches. I didn't do that with my Goodale (I used pashmina, too) and was surprised to see it grew more than I thought. Luckily, I had knitted it a little short. I love the design that you chose for your husband's sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa, epic post. Not only do you have a project done, you've swatched AND washed them? I love the Goodale and look forward to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Swatches, two! I'm very impressed! As a newbie to knitting I should probably do this too but I'm just so impatient I just want to start! Looking forward to seeing your Saroyan on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You do have a ballwinder, right ? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can feel the squishiness of that Llama yarn from here! Lol at the ballwinder x

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.