About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Monday, July 11, 2011

How does your garden grow?

This is my first garden update since way back when I announced we were getting a community garden plot in our neighbourhood.

The garden is new this year and due to unpredictable spring weather, it wasn't ready for planting until June 5th. We have a very short growing season here in Calgary (a place where it is not unheard of - but can be incredibly depression inducing - to get snow at some point every month of the year). Since I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about vegetable gardening, I bought (and actually read - works better that way) a few books on the subject and selected seeds that can be sowed late.

This is how our little plot looked 2 weeks after planting.

I cannot tell you how excited I was that thing were actually growing out of the ground. Things I planted! Growing on purpose!
peas

lettuce

beets

beans
 The best part about a new garden plot is that there are no weeds! Good thing because I'm not sure I would have been able to tell what was veg and what was weed.

Here it is last week.
From front to back: beets & marigolds, carrots, peas and beans, lettuce & spinach
I've thinned the carrots but now the beets seem to be taking over the world. I've also realized I really have no idea when to harvest all the darn stuff and am not actually looking forward to seeing blank spots where my lovely plants used to be. Ironic, since the whole point was to grow veggies for the family to eat.

As you can see, the kids are absolutely relishing our every-other-day walk to the garden and enjoying the opportunities for family bonding/learning/communing with nature - Ha!

But too bad for them, because these days... this is the way we roll ; )


Cheers, Nikki

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful garden!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I've been looking forward to seeing your garden since that first post, so thanks for sharing. We just ate some peas and beans and beets out of our garden, as here we have the opposite weather, and we have to plant those things early before it is too hot for them. I think you will know by looking when they are ready to be picked! I love the shot of the stroller with the watering can. : )

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.