About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, July 22, 2011

FO Friday #19 - My First Adult Sized Sweater!!!!


It is very timely that I have finally finished my "Ode to Hedwig" sweater  just as the last Harry Potter movie is released. (I haven't seen it yet but am really looking forward to it!)

Of course it isn't as timely that I have finished a bulky wool sweater in the middle of a July heat wave... but whatever, it will keep : )

I am so proud that I have actually knit myself a full sized sweater that appears to actually be wearable!!

The Owls pattern is knit in the round from the bottom up. The pattern is very well written and very easy to follow. This is my first attempt at a yoked sweater and it has worked out rather well. The bulky yarn on big needles made it a very quick knit.

The sweater is meant to be have a very slim fit and is a little shorter than I normally go. Even though I knew the shape wasn't entirely my style, I couldn't resist those owls. This pattern was one of the first ones I queued when I started knitting last year. It did not disappoint.

Kate Davies overhauled the pattern this year and I knit the new version. There had been a lot of comments about the back back shaping causing "puffy pouching" in the old version. I am very happy with how the shaping fits in this version.

I think the side shaping lies a little funny but I think it is more the result of the way I blocked it than from the pattern.

For the most part, I stuck exactly to the pattern. My gauge ran slightly small but I didn't want to go up on my needle size, so I knit up one size than my measurements. I used magic loop for the sleeves. I did a sewn bind off for the neck and it is more than stretchy enough. I bought some 11mm mother-of-pearl buttons at a local knitting shop for the eyes. Choosing buttons was probably one of the toughest parts of the whole sweater and sewing them on was one of the more time consuming! I haven't done the owls around the arms because I thought they might lie funny. What do you think? Should I leave it as is, or add the rest of the buttons on?


The Yarn in Bendigo Rustic. It is a 100% wool 12 ply yarn that comes in 200g balls at a fantastic price (especially if you can get someone to bring it over from Australia for you - Thanks again Carol!)  I really enjoyed knitting with it. I think it grew slightly with blocking but I had anticipated that. I find this wool very warm and comfy to wear but it may be a little rough for some (I probably wouldn't use if for baby items).

Overall, this sweater was a fun and quick knit. It is definitely a reasonable project for a beginner sweater knitter. I learned a lot but was not overwhelmed by the process. The best part is that I have a great sweater that I am excited to wear come winter (in the far far off future).

An Ode to Hedwig
Pattern: Owls by Kate Davies
Size: 3 (36")
Yarn: Bendigo Woolen Mills Rustic 12 ply in Elm
(I used about 450g/ 600m total) 
Needles: 6.0mm/ US 10 & 6.5mm/ US 10.5 KnitPicks nickel circulars

Don't forget, there are plenty of more inspiring and satisfying finished objects to be found through Tami's blog for FO Friday!

Cheeers, Nikki


21 comments:

  1. I love love love this sweater! The owls look great! And for your first ever adult size sweater, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very impressed, to get such a good looking garment for your first try at an adult sweater! I love this pattern, the owls are so cute. I think it looks great without the buttons on the shoulders - I'd be too worried about catching them on stuff to put them on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful job!! It looks great on you. Wear it with pride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow love it. The colour is beautiful! I am jealous that you are actually going to keep it and wear it, everytime I make myself something, by the time I am finished with it, I don't like it anymore and send it to my sister! Who of course loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fantastic! I've had that pattern in my queue for ages but haven't got round to making it yet. I really should get on with it, yours is making me really want one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the completion of your first adult sized sweater!! I thought it was a "nice" sweater from the far view... but when you took the up-close one of the owls.. I have to say it's probably one of the most adorable sweaters I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I like the sleeves without buttons. They make a great accent for the front, and might be too much along the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness that is AWESOME!! I am so amazed, great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so impressed! My first attempt was a disaster, my second attempt hasn't begun yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks to be a very nice fit; you're very brave to try it on and model it in July! I vote for all the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's hard to believe it is your first adult sized sweater! It looks wonderful on you, and looks very professionally finished. I vote for leaving the buttons as is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should be proud. It looks awesome, very nice. It looks very involved for a first sweater. WOW...

    ReplyDelete
  13. those owls are too cute!!!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think my jaw literally dropped open a little when I saw this, it came out amazing, and fits you perfectly! The colour and shaping are both a great match for you, I think. And your button-choosing time was well spent, because those look fantastic. I'd leave them as-is, with some un-button-eyed owls on the shoulders, the negative space looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! It looks wonderful, love those owls

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done - it turned out fabulous! Colour really suits you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy crap, Nikki! That's your first adult sweater!? It's so good it looks store bought. I'm so jealous, I love this sweater. Oh, and high five on the wearing winter items in the middle of summer for the love of knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its beautiful, it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome! You did a fantastic job with a lot of detailing. I hope you'll feel happy every time you wear it. The color is lovely, too.

    (I would just do buttons in the front, like you have here.)

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.