About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, July 15, 2011

FO Friday #18 - Round the Twist


Happy Friday everyone!

It is another glorious summer day here in Calgary and the  kids and I are off to yet another stampede breakfast. You'd think we would get tired of free pancakes and sausage everyday... but nope : )

I have finally finished the "Round the Twist" hat for a special little guys 3rd birthday (which was unfortunately in May - another victim of Canada's postal strike... sort of.)  Well, it's the thought that counts right? Besides he will definitely not be wearing this hat for a few months yet.

This was my first Wooly Wormhead pattern. Tinker is a very fun hat with simple construction. Basically you just knit round and round  until it is long enough and then finish with a 3 needle bind off straight across the top. The killer is that 8 out of 10 rounds require cabling every 3 stitches. About 20 rounds in, just as I was ready to bury the partially knit ring of madness in the far back corner of my closet I figured out how to cable without a needle (no idea if I am doing it the "standard way" - I just made it up but it certainly works). That made a huge difference and the rest went pretty quickly.

I used Berroco Blackstone Tweed. I loved knitting with this yarn. The tweedy look gives the overall colour interest. The yarn is super soft.

For the 19" size hat this is how much I had left from one 50g skein:



Of course, I had bought a second skein just in case, so I guess there will be another green tweedy project in my future.

The intended recipient lives on the other side of the country so I kindly asked bribed my children to model the hat for this post.



Our friend's little guy is one of three, so I thought it might be cute to make the other two similar hats for Christmas. And I already bought the yarn... you know, just in case.

Round the Twist

Pattern: Tinker by Wooly Wormhead
Size: 19"
Needle: 4.5mm/US 7 Knit Picks Nickel 16" circular


I didn't make any modifications to this project. I also didn't check my gauge but it seems like a nice fit for my 3 year old. I didn't block it because I like the way the cables look now and the hat feels sooo deliciously soft and squishy. I just couldn't risk over stretching it.


If any of you came looking for Owls, I am still sewing on buttons. I promise it will be ready for next Friday.


Don't forget to twist on over to Tami's blog to check out more fabulous FO's.


Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Cheers, Nikki
Completely unrelated shot of Bellini's at the bar from Girl's Night
 on Monday when we went out for dinner and to see Wicked.
It was, well, one seriously wicked evening.

17 comments:

  1. Thats a great looking hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous hat, I love the yarn - it really seems to show off the cables well :) Cool picture of your cocktails too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea to make hats for kids for presents. Altough in South Africa we hardly wear them so by the time there were recieved knowing my luck they would be too small

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hat. So cute my jaw dropped! It looks completely fantastic, both worn and unworn (in the "unworn" shot the amaaaazing texture really comes through, wow), and will be an awesome gift. :D

    (Gorgeous bellinis, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hat is completely darling! Our new abode in Florida will unfortunately be too warm for hats. On the brighter side many of my nieces and nephews live in places like Utah and Boston. Plenty of cold weather to wear deliciously squishy soft hats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That hat is absolutely adorable. What'd you bribe your kids with? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable hat! The stitch pattern is great, and looks awesome with the tweed yarn.

    And those Bellinis look amazing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an impish look in that 2nd picture! They are both adorable. The stitch pattern is very interesting with all that texture and direction to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute baby, and the hat looks good too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the texture on that hat. Such cute models!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a cute hat and the bellinis aren't bad either!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The drinks look pretty, your hat is very unusual and interesting. Love the tweedy too. What a cute little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hat turned out so cute and looks adorable on your kids. Wooly Wormhead has been a long time favorite hat designer of mine. The cables look amazing. (so do those drinks, Yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an awesome hat! One little model doesn't look to bothered to be on camera!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Website private student loans for people Strategies Try Low-Cost
    Web Based private student loans for peopleAffordable website private student
    loans for people strategies are not studied well. If you are struggling
    to get the reader to visit your website by clicking on a confirmation button.
    The company builds a reputation for being fun and
    different -- all tailored to whatever budget you have available.

    That event will feature some of the key online Scion influencers.


    my blog ... The Student Loan People

    ReplyDelete
  16. Egg whites are high in essential fatty acid, linoleic acid LA has particular reference to
    how to get rid of acne.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.