About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, July 1, 2011

FO Friday #16 - Dear Doodlebug


Happy Friday!!

It is Canada Day today. Which also happens to be my best friend's birthday. (Happy Birthday B!) We are having a backyard BBQ and the sun it shining. There are lots of things to celebrate. Can't ask for more than that!

Today will be a perfect opportunity for my Doodlebug to model her lovely new sun hat. Although as you are about to see, she has done plenty of modeling already.

I really enjoyed knitting this pattern. The construction of the brim with the folded picot edge and three needle join is pure genius. I love how clean looking the brim construction looks and how satisfying it feels to get it right.

I had read on Ravelry that the hat runs a little big so I knit the 6-12 month size for my 11 months old. It is a little roomy but I wouldn't want to go any smaller because this way I can throw it in the washer and dryer. Which is great because currently Doodlebug loves to rub her food in her hair (or straight onto the hat if it happens to be in the way. Doodlebug has also declared war on wearing hats and is constantly trying to get them off and stretching them. It's nice that the shape bounces back in the wash.

I added braided ties holding the yarn double in an effort to help keep the hat on my lovely daughter's head. I  had attempted icord but was too big and honestly looked horrendous (remind me to work on that). Holding the yarn double worked perfectly because I could just use 3 long strands folded in half and thread them through a spot on the three needle join inside the brim. It made the ties very secure and there were no ends to weave.

Since my learning-to-knit-washcloth-days, I have avoided knitting with cotton because I found it unpleasant to use yarn with such little give. This organic cotton wasn't like that at all. It was a lovely knitting experience. Perhaps it also helped to be using a light sport weight cotton than the old Handicrafter worsted from my past.

Ok, are you ready for cuteness overload? Don't say you weren't warned...




You gotta love the mismatched boots. He insisted.






Dear Doodlebug
Pattern: Dear Liza by Wattsolak Designs
Size 6-12 months
Yarn: M&K Eco Baby Bomull
colour 913 - used less than 50g
Tools Used: 
US4/3.5mm 40cm circular and DPNs
darning needle


In the end, I like this hat so much I immediately made another one for our friends' little girl's first birthday (which was is May... I blame Canada Post ; )

Meet Dear Stella

Hope you all have wonderful summery weekends plans which include exciting things like... checking out more FO's through Tami's blog!

Cheers, Nikki


14 comments:

  1. OOOoooooooh so sweet. Your Doodlebug just has to be one of the sweetest little things I've ever seen. That smile is heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love the hat and all of the photos of your Doodlebug. Makes me wish for the days Sister Bear was her age. Enjoy her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cuteness overload indeed! Very cute (and the hat is too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww. Adorable hats! Happy Canada day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those hats are definitely adorable. Must..resist...queuing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet doll! And the hat makes her even more adorable. The mismatched boots make perfect sense to me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks pretty happy with her new hat! What a cutie! Enjoy your weekend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh SO SO SO CUTE!!!! Adorable hat, but the little cutie in it was much more adorable. ♥ I loved the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much cuteness in one family! The hat is adorable too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photo's are gorgeous! The little hat is very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cuteness overload = ACHEIVED! :D Such amazing pictures, and what a sweet hat! I love both of them, but the pink might be my favourite, it's so bright and summery-wonderful. I love the ties, too---they look sweet, and a good solution in the War on Hats.

    I hope you have a fabulous Canada Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Canada Day. What a sweet hat and a sweet little girl and big brother.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soooo cute! She looks like a little ham. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cuteness overload indeed! She really loves her new hat, great job!

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.