About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, June 24, 2011

FO Friday #15 - A Turtle for a Tot


Happy Friday everyone! I'm excited about today because it is the start of the weekend and because I don't have to feel bad about ordering pizza for dinner tonight. Why is it that I always feel like I'm lazy and a bad mother when I order pizza on regular weeknights but think it is totally acceptable on a Friday? Anyone else feel that way? No? Huh, this is another one of those strange "family values" my parents impressed upon me isn't it.

Any hoo...

I'm very excited to present this week's Finished Object because I'm a little kind of really proud of the way it turned out. Two of my best friends had babies last year, all within a few weeks of Doodlebug. The first baby turned one last week. I can't believe it! When has the year gone?

His mum is a knitter and I suspected she would appreciate a handmade gift. (She most definitely did not let me down).

I had never knitted a toy before but could not resist the FREE pattern for Sheldon the most adorable turtle.

There were lots of interesting parts to his construction. The slipped stitch shell is probably one of the coolest things I have ever made. I loved the icord bind  to join his shell and ... undershell? I used magic loop for his body and limbs.


Each step of the pattern was very clear with lots of tips. It is pretty neat that his shell comes off for washing.

Check out some of the little costumes and clothes that the designer and others have come up with for him. I really like the idea of making him as a gift with this baby blanket. Super cute, right?
And it's all free!

I made him out of superwash for ease of cleaning but I think I made a mistake in using wool. Even though I went down 2 needle sizes, it still stretches and you can see the stuffing a little is some places if you look carefully. I think cotton yarn would probably be a better choice for knitted toys.

A Turtle for Tommy
Pattern: Sheldon by Ruth Homrighaus
Yarn:
Ivy Brambles Superwash Worsted (colour wild blueberries) 
Tools used:
US 5/3.5mm needles
crochet hook
synthetic stuffing
9mm safety eyes
darning needle

Here is the birthday boy enjoying his pressie:


Then, of course, Doodlebug had to get in on the action.
Until finally (after a minute and a half) they were ready to move onto more exciting things... 
"Ooh look, it's a table"

Poor Sheldon : (


Don't miss out on the chance to get your weekend of to the right start by checking out more FO's through Tami's Amis!

Cheers, Nikki

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely ADORE that turtle! I am going to have to knit that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adroable little turtle, great colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Sheldon is gorgeous! So cool, and no doubt he will be well loved ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The turtle is adorable! It seemed really small until I got to the pictures of the kids holding it. Then I realized it was sorta big, actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. IMHO it doesn't matter *what* the dinner is (take out, delivery, cold cereal) as long as the family is together. I say this because we did quite a bit of take out dinners back when Offspring was at home.

    You've done a fabulous job with Sheldon and for a minute and a half Sheldon brought some children joy. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a turtle too! But yours is significantly better than mine, sooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable, I want to make this turtle too! Hope he finds some more love with kids :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheldon looks fantastic, I love that you used blue. And we had pizza tonight too :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember those days, really like the turtle too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, SO CUTE!!!!
    I've been wanting to make a turtle. . . Maybe one of these days.

    I'm glad to know other kids lose interest in homemade toys the way mine does. (Actually, he loses interest in all toys about that quickly, I just feel worse when it's one I made.) :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pizza-on-Fridays is defintely a thing. You are not a lazy and bad mother, you're just awesome.

    And so is this turtle, such cool colours and you made him just beautifully! I'd definitely be printing out the pattern right this second if I could knit. I love the in-action shots, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to check out your FO Friday and I'm so glad I did. The turtle is ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.