About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, May 27, 2011

FO Friday #14 - Accidental Scarf


TGIF!!! My husband had to work everyday over the long weekend, so today is day 12 of having the kids on my own. So TGIF I say! T.G.I.F.

By the way, it is still pouring rain here. Some of the outlying communities are now in a state-of-emergency over flooding. So far my basement is dry - finger crossed!

Needless to say, 12 days of constantly caring for 2 little ones and 5 of those days having torrential rain outside makes for one one slightly harried and stir-crazy mummy. Thank goodness for my Noro scarf!

The skein combo I used for the scarf
This scarf has kept me very amused with it's ever changing colour combination. So much fun!

I am continuing my mini love affair with the ever wacky Noro. I find the random colour changes intriguing and the running thick and thin of the yarn endearing. I have however discovered one issue that has taken to bloom off my crush... Freaking Knots! I don't actual care about knots that much but knots that create a sudden colour change Drive. Me. Crazy! I actually had one knot two feet into the start of a skein. I mean, seriously!
The "pattern" calls to cast on 39 stitches. I cast on 43 for a bit wider scarf.  It seems that I am becoming a bit of a loose knitter and I think maybe I should have gone down a needle size. Four skeins of Silk Garden  made a lovely long scarf. I really like the look of the slipped stitch edging. The edging combined with the 1x1 rib made for a scarf that lies perfectly flat and almost looks like it was knit in plain stockinette.
I wasn't sure whether I should try to get the colour combo on the ends of the scarf to match a bit...
 

Clearly, I decided not to bother with that!




ACCIDENTAL SCARF

Pattern: Noro Striped Scarf by Jared Flood
Yarn: Noro Silk Garden (4 skeins total)
Tools used: Knit Picks 4.5mm nickel needles
darning needle

All in all, a bright and cheery project for a rainy week!

I have made this scarf as a gift for my son's music teacher who's class we have taken for six semesters (since he was 6 months old!). Next week, will be his last class because he is starting preschool in the fall. Miss Sarina has a very fun taste in clothes. I really hope she likes this scarf!

 Hope you have great things planned for the weekend... like checking out more FO's through Tami's blog!

Cheers, Nikki



ETA: so sorry about all the spelling mistakes. I wrote this while the kids were around. I guess I was kind of distracted... Sheesh!

10 comments:

  1. I do love how the Noro changes colors too. How do you knit so many scarves though? They drive me crazy because they keep going on and on and on...

    That's why I love hats...a decrease is always in my future.

    Hoping the weather changes so you can let the kids run a"mud" outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the colours collide. That scarf is tempting me to purchase some Noro yarn. Hmmmmm ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that scarf. I made one myself a couple of years ago. I think I love it a little more each time I wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This scarf will be an awesome gift, the colours are amazing and hypnotic and definitely a good fit for someone with fun taste in clothes, I think.

    And I'll keep my fingers crossed that your basement doesn't turn into a wading pool, yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! I loved making my scarf, too. You'd think the repetition would get old, but it never really did (though it did seem like the never ending project). I love your color combos and I'm sure his teacher will LOVE it. Oh yes, and I'm shipping you some sunshine! Hopefully it gets there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!! That turned out amazing, the colors are WOW. :) Now I want to make one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful scarf! Unfortunately, knots are just part of the Noro experience, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scarf is gorgeous, what a nice gift for the music teacher! Hope your weather improves soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the scarf! I hope you're getting a few minutes to yourself now & then -- plus some sunshine -- to keep your sanity intact after all that quality family time :-)

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.