About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, May 6, 2011

FO Friday #11 - First Felt

Happy Friday everyone!

My week has gone a little off kilter. Yesterday morning, I (very unexpectedly) threw out my back. I have had this randomly recurring, excruciating problem since my first pregnancy. It's SO frustrating.
I spent most of yesterday on my wonderful friend's couch while she (very graciously) looked after my two rug rats (and her two too!). Needless to say, neither of us got much done...
I really hoped it would be better today but unfortunately, it is not. My husband & I had some fun hiking planned for the weekend - first of the season - and I'm bummed that we won't be able to go.

The good news is... ummm... I can still knit! (oh, and the Canucks won again last night ; )

I had a lot of fun making my first felted item. It turned out to be a fun little project to try out a bunch of new skills including:
I felted using my front load washer. I put it in a mesh bag on a hot quick wash with no rinse or spin. It worked out well but I had to run the cycle 3 times to get it fully felted.

Here is the pre felt shot:

And post - Ta Daaa

Pattern: Overprotective by Petra Johnson
Yarn: Cascade 220 & 220 Heathers
Tools used:
Knit Picks nickel interchangables 6mm (US10) on 32" circular
stitch holder
darning needle
1 button
mesh bag
washing machine ; )

I could have made it a little smaller, but it works pretty well. I can easily hear the phone ring through the case. The purple flecks in the Heathers really came through with the felting.
Overall, I'm really happy with how it turned out.


Check out more FO's through Tami's blog.
Best wishes for great weekend and a very special Happy Mother's Days to all you North American and Aussie mum's out there (and anyone else celebrating Mother's Day on Sunday).

Cheers, Nikki

10 comments:

  1. Ugh, so sorry about your back, especially as it's ruining the fun hiking plans. :( I hope it heals up ASAP and lets you get back to all the stuff you want and need to do!

    And I love the finished phone case---you're right that the felting really shows up the little purple flecks, and they look fantastic. I'm also kind of encouraged and/or tempted by the fact that you successfully felted in a front-loading washer...I haven't done any machine felting because I'm afraid to try it in my front-loader, but if it worked for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your back. That's SO frustrating and back pain can be the WORST.

    The phone case looks great. I love the colors and it looks to fit good. I think you would want it a little big like it is, because you don't want it hard to get in and out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your felted phone holder turned out. Great job learning some new knitting skills too.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry your back decided not to play nicely. Sounds horrible. But I'm glad you can still knit. I find it helps manage the pain greatly ;-)

    The first felted item worked brilliantly. There will be no stopping you now. Once you start you will be felting e edgy ing in sight for at least 18 months (well that's how long it took me to get back to knitting anything else!).

    Can't wait to see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo sorry about your back :(

    Pretty felted baggy, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have back problems too and when it gets bad like that, it's just awful. Rest up & let it heal, as much as you can rest with little ones, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dear- I have had back problems since #1 too. I had back surgery right before #2. The only way I lasted for those 2 years was chiropractors, ice, and walking. Hope yours feels better soon! I know how awful it is!
    I love your felting project! Felting is so neat to me- it's like magic! The button is very cute too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice felting. I've only done that once, a hat. Turned out nice. The lady I gave it to, loved it.

    Sorry bout the back. I just came from the chiropractor myself. That's pretty common for me. I either get a massage or an appointment every couple of weeks. Makes a huge difference.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are able to get lots of rest and some recuperative knitting done. Back pain is right up there with toothaches. Great job with the felted phone case and learning all those new techniques. Terrific colors. Hope your back feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your back eases up a bit soon. It sounds incredibly painful.

    Your first foray into felting is fab! It has come out beautifully. So what will you be felting next?!

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.