About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

WIP Wednesday # 13 - Dark & Stormy

It's been a tough week at our house. I have a serious case of The Grumps at Spring's refusal to arrive to our neck of the woods. Yesterday, when I went to grocery store, it was bright and sunny with a hint of warmth in the air. When I came out, 20 minutes later, it was snowing. Seriously! Enough already!

Anyhoo... rant over on that annnnnnnnd onto knitting.

I am making good progress on Croissant  despite having to utilize one of my life lines this week. I had to rip out 8 rows. It didn't sound like such a big deal until I realized it was over 1500 stitches. ARRGGG!

I know you have spent sleepless nights wondering what I decided to do about the unexpected pink and blue colour changes in my Noro.

Well, I decided to go for it and keep then in.
It started off well, I though the rosy pink was tempered well by the tan of the alpaca. Suddenly, I hit a patch that looked like I was knitting with yarn that had been dyed with Pepto Bismal. The photos below do not do it justice - trust me it was pretty full on pink bubblegum.



Still, I tried to accept it as part of the process but I just could not live with the one row of bubble gum pink through the middle of my lovely neutral shawl. In the end, I cut out the worst of the bright pink and kept the rest. I think the bits of rose and purply-blue add some interest and they will show up 1 or 2 more times by the end.  (Another sign that this was meant to be, was that I went to the sister store here in Calgary of the shop where I bought my Noro in Vancouver last September. Not only did they have another skein of the same Noro colourway, it was the same dyelot! So, I will not run short.)




Sorry about the lifeline in the photos, it certainly doesn't help with trying to get perspective on the colours.

Meanwhile, I have started another project I'm calling Cables in Stormy Clouds (I'm getting quite artistic with these names, no?). Perhaps not the most intuitive name for a wee baby vest but it's my party, so...

My cousin in Wales had a darling little boy last week. I had so much fun with A Cute Hoot owl vest that I decided to make another vest for this wee lad. This time it's Pembroke Vest (rav link). I'm about a third through the back and having a great time with it because I really love cables : )


I will leave you with a an extraneous photo of myself with my darling Doodlebug at brunch on Sunday.

Aw heck, here's one more of her in her gorgeous Marks & Spencer dress sent from my family in Wales.

Just cause : )
Hope wherever you are, you are enjoying all the warmth and colours of Spring (not that I'm jealous or anything!)

I also hope you have a little time to click on over to Tami's blog to check out more WIP's

Cheers, Nikki

13 comments:

  1. Pepto....argh, even thinking about that makes me ill. I never understood how that could settle someone's stomach, makes me nauseated.. Hope your projects turn out ok.
    Sandy
    WIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Doodlebug is adorable!

    Your projects are pretty too. I know what you mean about Noro -- just when you're thinking, "Wow I love these colors," some oddball color shows up and crashes the party.

    I hope spring gets there soon. Here in the American South, we are definitely in spring, complete with scary thunderstorms and sometimes tornadoes. It feels like just a few weeks ago I was complaining about the ice storms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noro is notorious for having a sudden shocking color change. Your shawl will be lovely.
    The vest is adorable.
    Your daughter is so cute and that dress is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Noro, usually love the colors, but that pink would not work for me. Love the Doodlebug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing cables, lovely color way, and fun family pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, 1500 stitches? Smoke would be coming out of my ears by now. Poor thing.

    Loving the cable though! I'm teaching myself how to cable at the weekend, very excited! :D

    P.S
    Sorry but I had to ask, how did you get the REPLY feature on your comments? I have blogger to and I can't seem to get that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Noro is so pretty, but it's things like this that put me off trying it. I totally love the colours you are getting but I know it's horrible when it's not what you're expecting. But for what it's worth, I think it's looking lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww cute photos! And a lovely shawl! i really like the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a couple of little colour shocks knitting Noro too but I think it's worth it - the three different types I've tried so far look great knitted up.

    Doodlebug is so cute! Love the pics and M&S is wonderful! (I'm Welsh too - although I don't live there)

    Hope you enjoy the rest of your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Charlotte

    I did by following the instructions on this website: http://www.anshuldudeja.com/2010/07/how-add-reply-button-to-blogger.html

    It took a couple tries but I got it to work.

    Thanks for your comment & good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is adorable Nikki! I love the photo of you two.

    How odd, I've never knit with Noro, so I didn't know it had random color changes in it. Is that normal?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, she's so adorable! What a cute outfit. Polkadots are so in right now! I won't tell you the weather here today because it will worsen The Grumps. I'm glad that you were able to get the Noro color issue straightened out. Good decision to cut the bubblegum pink out. The cabled vest looks like a lot of fun to knit. Knitting for little ones is the best, almost makes you forget about the snow right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your shawl and that vest is going to be adorable. Almost as adorable as your doodlebug. I just want to smooch those cheeks on the baby.

    I keep standing and facing north to try to blow some of my heat to you. You know to ease the pain when the Blackhawks win tonight.

    Thank you very much, you know what.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.