About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, April 29, 2011

FO Friday #10 - Croissant Complète


I just need to start by saying how (perhaps overly) proud I am to be posting my 8th FO Friday IN A ROW!

AND this is a goodun : )

AND I seem to have a thing for capital letters today, huh

Well, without further ado, I am so excited to present
CROISSANT!!


I think by the time I ripped back multiple times to fix really stupid mistakes, I probably knit the thing twice, but I still really enjoyed making it. This is my first actual shawl. The pattern is so simple that I don't think it qualifies as lace but it gives me hope of getting there one day.


Cool new skills I learned while making this were:

Provisional Cast On
Garter Stitch Tab for lace shawls
Knitted Lace Bind Off
Knitting while holding two strands together
Much improved chart reading skills
Blocking a round, flat object

I really enjoyed this pattern. The instructions were clear and the supplemental pdf made simple work of explaining the provisional cast on and knitted lace bind off. The wee bit of math required to work the chart made me feel like a superstar (except when I would discover that my count was off - then it made me feel like ripping my hair out).

Looks very croissantish here, non?

Pattern: Lune Shawl (stockinette version)
Yarn: 
Noro Kirameki (1.2 skeins)
Tools Used: 
32 inch circular Knit Picks nickel interchangables 3.5mm/US 4
stitch markers
row counter
Knit Picks lace blocking wires
Started: April 5, 2011
Finished: April 26, 2011



The shawl is not huge but big enough to wrap nicely around without falling off (I know because I've already worn it out : )

After all my concerns about the colour changes in the Noro, I love the colour I left in and am happy I axed the bubblegum pink.

I am especially thrilled with the result of holding the two yarns together. I think the Diamond Alpaca provided a lovely continuity that worked well with the added interest from the Noro.

My verdict on my first Noro experience? 
Loved. It. 
Totally ran crazy thick and thin and I had one abrupt colour change via a knot but that didn't matter at all for my use and I loved the overall effect and texture. Don't be surprised if you come back and find me knitting with more Noro very soon.
Special thanks to B for taking these photos on Wednesday.
Especially as now it is... you guessed it - snowing!

You can't tell, but I am practicing my queenly wave at you in preparation for a tape-delayed Royal Wedding party I am hosting tonight. Bet my hubby is so sad to be out of town and missing this one ; )

Hope you have some great plans this weekend... Why not start on the right note by checking out more FO's through Tami's blog?

Cheers, Nikki


9 comments:

  1. the shawl is beautiful - you did a fantastic job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so beautiful! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautiful! You should definitely be proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, oh WOW! It turned out beautifully. And it looks great on you! You should be very proud. Heck, if I were you, I'd be sleeping in it (and wearing it everywhere else, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! Croissant looks beautiful! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely deserving of some capslock! What a beautiful shawl, and it looks amazing on you! The way it's draping in that first shot is making me swoon a little! So perfect. (And I know just what you mean about patterns that require a little math making you feel like a rockstar. I've always been hopeless at math stuff, but sometimes when I'm crocheting something I have moments when I get the math of the pattern and it's awesome.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beeeeautiful! I'm about to cast on my first shawl (tonight hopefully)....and I'm going to have to follow you because I love your knitting!

    Cables are soon for me....

    as is felting.....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! The simple pattern is perfect for showing off the subtle color changes. The shape of it may be my favorite thing about it -- it drapes so nicely and you can wrap it different ways. Hmmm, I think my love affair with triangular shawls may be ending ...

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.