About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Monday, March 28, 2011

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week - 2KCBWDAY1 A Tale of Two Yarns


Woo hoo, kicking it off for knitting and crochet blog week!!

I don't profess to be an expert about fiber and yarn, but what can I say... I like what I like

Until recently, I only bought yarn at big box stores because that was really all I knew about. Recently I have begun to acquire a bit of yarn snobbery (snobbity?) in my knitting personality. This of course means that now I have hidden away in my craft cupboard vast quantities of cheap inexpensive acrylic and cotton yarn. No, I know can make great dish cloths from the cotton, but what am I going to do with all that acrylic (especially 13 skeins of gray Bernat Chunky)?

Wow, it's only the first day and I'm already off topic... Today, I am actually going to discuss my experience with two specific yarns. I am lucky to say that I have yet to have a really bad experience with a yarn I have used for knitting or even have yet to really decide that I used the wrong yarn for the project I was working on. 

So, I want to present my choice for a great yarn that is easy on the pocket book and one that is worth the splurge.

#1 - CASCADE 220

worsted weight
100% peruvian wool
220 yards/ 100 g
hand wash

In the short year that I have been knitting, I have used the old standby Cascade 220 several times. Of course, Cascade 220 is apparently no great hidden secret (I'm guessing that by the fact that it's the #1 used yarn on Rav). But, I think sometimes it's worth being reminded about the value of the trusty and familiar.

I have used Cascade 220 to make many hats and a baby cardigan. Within my knitting circle, this year alone, it has been used for more hats, 2 baby sweaters and one rather cool amigurumi fish.

Cascade 220 currently comes in 199 colours! It is pure wool, has lovely stitch definition and is great for colourwork. I have never tried felting with it but it is definitely on my list!
The hat that I have worn several times a week for the past 3 months is still looking great. Best of all Cascade 220 is great for the budget knitter. (Not to mention that their 220 superwash and Eco+ rock the house too)
Seriously, it started out as just one hat!

*Please note that I have no affiliation with Cascade Yarns (although perhaps I should invest as I suspect through my use alone they may be turning a tidy profit)

#2 - Madelinetosh Pashmina
sport weight
75% merino, 15% silk, 10% cashmere
360 yards/ 100 grams
machine wash

A word of caution, knitting with this yarn may ruin you for all other yarn experiences! 

I have only used this yarn once, to knit a cowl so springy, warm and soft I almost want to take it bed with me at night.

Knitting with this yarn is like a knitters day at the spa. It knits up beautifully, with the best stitch definition that I have seen. I was sad when my project was finished.

**Note - after writing this I went out and bought 2 skeins of the lilac colourway. I think I may have an addiction issue.

Of course the down side is the price. Be prepared for a serious wallop.

Well that's about it for Day 1. Hmmm, I suspect that reading everyone's posts about their favourite yarns is unlikely to help my weakness for stash procurement.

Hope to see you again tomorrow.
Cheers, Nikki




7 comments:

  1. I actually have two skeins of Cascade in my stash, it's been there for ages. I bought it for a special felting project, which I have now forgotten about. Maybe I should dig it out!

    I've never used Madeleine Tosh as I suspect it would be even more hideously expensive in the UK. I refuse to even look at it, as I know I will succumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Cascade in my non-stash! But I love it, used it to knit a sweater.

    Thanks for reminding me!

    And at some point plan to use it again, when I get the book 60 quick knits.
    Latter in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Cascade, and I really want to try Madelintosh some day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes forget all about Cascade, but it's a really great yarn. I didn't realize they had so many colors but it's the colors that have always drawn me to it. And I'll have to give the Pashmina a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those hats are amazing!

    I just finished a shawl with some Madeline Tosh... aren't the colors just great?

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, I love love love those hats! What a great idea and so much fun, too. I've used Cascade 220 and Eco wool often in the past. Such a great basic yarn with amazing colors. I am totally with you on the mad love for madtosh pashmina. I used it for the first time knitting my Goodale sweater. I have been dreaming of using it again. Can't wait to see the lilac colourway in action!

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.