About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, March 25, 2011

FO Friday #5 - A Cute Hoot


My baby owl vest turned out to be a very quick, fun and satisfying knit.

Pattern: Baby Owl Vest
Designer: Jodi Haraldson
Size 6-9 months
Colourway: 80
Needles: 3.75 & 4mm (US 5 & 6) 40cm (16 inch) Knit Picks nickel circulars
Started: March 16, 2011
Finished: March 20, 2011

This vest is constructed from a stockinette front and back with simple decreases for the V neck and armholes. The shoulders are finished with a 3 needle bind off. Stitches are picked up for the ribbing at the neck and arms. The owls are made through a very clever but very simple cable pattern and are on the front only.

Despite using heavier weight yarn and bigger needles than the pattern calls for, my gauge was still a little on the small side. I got about six stitches per inch instead of the five that the pattern calls for. Since the baby this vest is for is only a newborn, I didn't bother going up a size of needles and just made a vest for 6- 9 months (instead of the 9- 12 months based on the pattern).

This is what the vest looked like pre blocking...

This was my first time knitting with Cascade 220 superwash. I found the yarn very nice to knit, has lovely stitch definition and is plenty soft enough for a wee babe to wear. I love the colour of the green. However, it did bleed when I gave it a wash in cool water with some gentle baby detergent.


I blocked the vest flat with a couple (probably unnecessary) T-pins.
This is what what the finished object looks like...

 And here it is again (just cause I couldn't decide which picture was better : )

I wanted to see what size it had ended up being so I tried it out on my Doodlebug. She is a small 8 month old and the vest fit, but was roomy so I think it will be ideal as a 6-9 months size for a little lad.

She is also a very cute but not particularly cooperative model.


This project has got me itching to start an Owls sweater for myself (for which I've had the yarn and pattern for ages... of course).

Once again the wonderful Tami is hosting us all for FO Friday. Go here to check out some cool projects.

Have a great weekend everyone. See you next week for Knitting and Crochet Blog week!

Cheers, Nikki
This was about a second before she launched herself
head first off the chair...
don't worry both Doodlebug and the camera were unharmed.
My heart, on the other hand, got a bit of a workout ; )

10 comments:

  1. That is absolutely adorable!! My friend has a little girl who would look so cute in that :-D *Thumbs up* I love owls too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks lovely. I think this may be a pattern I add to my potential baby gift knits list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is adorable! The vest looks great. I love the owl pattern. I've had it in my queue even before I could knit

    ReplyDelete
  4. The owls sweaters are all so cute, and this one is no exception! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is adorable!! I've added it to my ravelry queue. Blocking really made a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! And the sweater is great too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute vest and adorable model, will have to add this to the baby gift list I think

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a difference blocking makes! The vest is cute but your little one is even more adorable! What a sweet smile she has.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww! I love the effect of the buttons for eyes on the center owl.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.