About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Thursday, March 31, 2011

2KCBWDAY4 - Where are they now?


Today's post is about the fates of the items we make. Where do they go? How do they last?

I often wonder about things I have given to people. I think most of us would agree we really want our presents to be found useful and our hard work appreciated. Would most non-knitters realize how much more work a scarf is than say, a hat? Don't even get me started on socks.

One of the very first things I ever made for someone else was a crocheted hat for my boyfriend (now husband) about 5 1/2 years ago. I had taught myself to crochet and G really wanted a hat with earflaps. I remember I even went to an LYS and bought some Phildar Pegase+ for it (which at the time I thought was VERY fancy yarn  - ha, little did I know...).

I don't remember where I got the pattern but I worked so hard at the hat and despite it looking a bit like a bowl with ears, G loved it.
a hat only a bowl (or a smitten man) could love
That hat lasted our courtship, our engagement and into our marriage. It moved with us from Vancouver to Calgary. It was still there when we had our first child.
G and his hat with our 6 week old Monkey in April 2008
Can you believe he's still wearing it!
G, Monkey & the hat in December 2010
Its got me thinking, if my somewhat skewed attempt at a hat has lasted this long, imagine the heirloom power of the decent things I am making now.

At the end of the day, I guess I really want the gifts I make for people will be loved and used. I don't want them put away in a cupboard to "save" or "protect" them.

I hope my loved ones will be able to look at the items I have made and be reminded of fun times and happy memories.

Besides, if they wear out, it gives me a good excuse to make some more : )

I think this year G is getting a new hat.

Cheers, Nikki

6 comments:

  1. Aw your post made me feel all warm and fuzzy. How wonderful that your knit has been through so much with you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful memories are in that hat. Now that is a gift that has been cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool, I can only hope that the things I make last as long and get used as much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He loves you! and that hat! My Hubs wears the big flappy slippers I made him...he kept saying they needed to be "bigger" well they are some big they fall off his big feet! But he calls them his feet blankets and wears them..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! What a great guy to appreciate your hand knitted gift. The sledding picture is too cute.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.