About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

2KCBWDAY2 - Skill +1UP


Hello again and welcome to Day 2 of Knitting and Crochet Blog Week!

Today's topic is about looking back at the new skills you have learned over the last year...

This time last year, I was pregnant with my second baby and my first had just turned two. After 2 years of getting my feet on the ground in this new stay-at-home-parent thing, I was finally ready to start reacquainting myself with some of my favourite past pastimes.

A new friend invited me to her Craft Night that she hosted once a week. I took along a cross stitch I was working on but was in awe of everyone and their knitting. I had learned to knit from a friend a few years before and had even made a couple scarves and a pair of mittens but hadn't tried anything in years.

I picked up my needles, relearned how to cast on and made Debbie Bliss' Garter Stitch Blanket. My gauge was off so I kind of ended up with little rectangles instead of squares and all the seaming drove me to distraction but I got it done.

Long before I felt the pride of putting that blanket on my little girl to bring her home from the hospital in July, I was hooked.
By then I had made the Baby Sheep Hat too.

What made the difference this time?
I think it was a couple things.  Having a couple close friends who are talented knitters and being part of a group that checks in every week definitely kept me motivated and accountable. But, I think the thing that really got me going was the internet. Finding out about Ravelry and knitting blogs changed everything. Having access to soooo many cool patterns and seeing everyone's awesome projects still rivets me and gives me something to shoot for.  YouTube and forums on Rav have meant that when I get stuck I can get help to figure it out without having to put it all aside until my next knit night.

Some the skills I have learned in the past year include:

  • how to knit on circular needles in the round
  • duplicate stitch
  • stranded colourwork
  • kitchener stitch
  • 3 needle bind off
  • CABLES!!!
  • moebius cast on
  • raglan sleeves
  • picking up stitches
  • turning a heel
  • the joy of a yarn "stash" ; )

I've gone from a simple garter stitch blanket to knitting sweaters in less than a year.

My latest FO 
I've even started a blog about it : )

The best part is how much I know I still have to learn!

Cheers, Nikki

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe how far you've come in a year. You are right about the internet being a massive source of inspiration. It's also a great place to meet other people from around the world who share your hobbies. It's like having a knitting group in your living room 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a Knitting Fiend Now! :) What a wonderful year it's been for you, I can't wait to see what wonders are to come!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great owl vest. Great job on your year's knitting accomplishments too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an impressive list of skills learned in such a short while. I was knitting garter stitch for months when I first learned how to knit. Of course, there was no such thing as ravelry and YouTube back then. Having so many resources and sources of inspiration available to us is so cool. The owl vest is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a year! And not just in your knitting!

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.