About Me

My photo
Pediatric nurse by training, stay-at-home-mum by design... now "nursing" a knitting obsession : ) Twitter & Rav ID: nursenikkiknits

Friday, February 25, 2011

FO Friday #2 - Camilla Challenge

They are Done!!! (finally)




Pattern: Camilla Mittens by SpillyJane
Yarn: Sandnes Garn Sisu
Needles: 2.5mm Harmony DPN's
Started February 3rd, 2011
Finished February 24th, 2011

I found this pattern to be a great knit. The instructions were very clear and the chart was easy to work off of.

I also found this yarn easy to work with. It has a nice wooly texture that I think will be great for mittens. Sisu has a reputation for being splitty but I didn't have that issue with my wooden harmony needles. I noticed however that the teal yarn was quite a bit thinner than the grey. They were both uniform throughout the skein but not the same as each other.

I learned a lot of new techniques with these mittens including using waste yarn for an peasant thumb, kitchener stitch, and a new way to hold the yarn for colourwork (but I can't do it with two hands yet).
I also discovered that I seem to be a "process knitter." After my last blog several people commented about the irony of knitting mittens while n Hawaii. I hadn't really though about it as I was just enjoying the process : )
These are definitely the most intensive colourwork project I have attempted and over I am pleased with my effort.

I do have a slight problem though...
One of these thing is not like the other...



It seems that as my technique improved, my tension changed.
I don't think blocking is going to fix this.
Oh well, I guess its a good thing I enjoyed the process.

I guess I need to pick out my free pattern and get an email off to SpillyJane!
For more fabulour Friday FO's check out Tami's blog : )

Cheers, Nikki

10 comments:

  1. I love the mittens-on-the-beach photos! And I love the mittens, the colourwork is gorgeous. I've definitely had the experience of improving technique meaning asymmetrical pieces---I'm pretty sure as long as they're warm and fit on your hands, you're fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job Nikki!! They look great and will win the prize for most exotic location for sure, if not symmetry! My photos are being emailed to spillyjane as we speak.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mittens and had to giggle at the beach in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! (great background!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for vacation knitting! Blocking might help more than you think. : ) In any case they turned out great. I love, love, the mittens on the beach photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mittens are beautiful! I love it that you took them on vacation and got the glamour shot of them on the beach. No one will ever notice that some things shifted a tiny bit as you progressed. I promise not to tell :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comment on my blog, Nikki. I wish I were in warm Maui right now instead of snowy/rainy Seattle...but hey,it is mid-winter break! Nice mitties on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, the mittens are beautiful. Second: It is a rare thing when two socks or two mittens are exactly the same size when I am the knitter. Blocking does actually help a little. Nobody notices when I am wearing them.

    Last, I am so envious. I love Maui and we are hoping to go next year. Are you staying in the pink hotel? We stayed there once. Love it there. Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work on those mittens! And know one will know that they aren't exactly matched, especially when they're on your hands. I am a process knitter, too. I happily knit heavy alpaca sweaters in the peak of summer. So there's nothing wrong with mittens on the beach!

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://beingcarefulnottotwist.blogspot.com
and update your bookmarks.